I am certainly not known for my cooking. I am probably better known for what I catch on fire; toasters, microwaves, etc. Since becoming vegan I have put my cooking skills to the test. I do not yet have any fancy recipes that I have created (I am starting simple), but I do have one of my favorite after run smoothies that I will share. I enjoy finding different fruit to mix together.
This Blueberry Smoothie is so simple. To keep it vegan I mix:
- 1 cup of blueberries which the kids got to pick at a blueberry farm.
- 1 banana frozen (this makes the smoothie thicker)
- 1/2 cup coconut juice by lakewood (found a publix)
- 1/2 cup acai berry juice by lakewood (great antioxidants) (I ordered from a coop, but you might be able to get at publix)
- 1/2 cup almond milk
- rice protein (this is a vegan version of protein powder)
Mix it all up in a blender. Add some ice if you want it thicker. As is this it is roughly 400 calories. You can easily half it or share with someone to make it around 200 calories. You can also leave out the juice and put in 1 cup of almond, rice, or hemp milk. And if you are feeling really crazy you can add milled flax seed to get in your omega -3’s. I like the flax seed, but Sam thinks it gets too gritty.
I hope you like it. It is such a pretty purple.